Monday, November 17, 2014

Facebook

The slogan Facebook used when it was created was that you could connect with friends around the country/world. When I first got an account, this was not really the case, since practically everyone I knew lived within 20 minutes from me and went to the same High School. As I've gotten older it has slowly become a way to keep me informed of my friend's lives who have moved to other states or countries. Although a lot of people post random crap that has no purpose or they abuse the whole idea of Facebook, it's nice that it is there so I can see pictures and updates from those I don't see very often but don't want to completely forget about.

And then, at work this morning, my boss called me into her office because she wanted help with her Facebook account. She got one awhile ago, but she needed help with all the notification settings. Once we got her squared away, she became very excited showing us all these posts from people she grew up with. She expressed true gratitude for the invention of Facebook and being able to stay connected with people from her childhood. And the fact that she's in her sixties, makes it a big deal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really do love facebook for this reason. I mean, without it I would not be able to know when my friends are engaged or having a baby. But along with that I also make sure that I am only friends with people I am actually friends with in person. I wouldn't really want to stay friends on Facebook with someone who wasn't my friend in real life.

Michon said...

Wow, what a great example or experience of someone having genuine gratitude for Facebook. I'm in the same boat as you (most of my closest friends still live in Provo, etc...)
However, my sisters live in different states and I can't tell you how awesome it is to see videos of my new baby niece or my nephew's soccer game. I miss them so much and I love that I get to experience a snip it of their lives.

Thanks for sharing Annie!