Monday, September 22, 2014

Disney: Then & Now

I grew up watching Disney movies. Whenever we went on road trips, we'd bring enough along to make the drive go by quicker; and let's be honest, it was a ton of fun having the whole family sing along in the car. And I won't lie, even now I watch them quite often. Walt Disney definitely knew what he was doing; all those movies are just classic. I mean, who doesn't love to break out in song randomly to express what's going on? But, do you ever watch them now (being an adult) and see them in a completely different light than you did when you were a child?

I have a niece that just turned 3 and she is OBSESSED with Disney movies. Being the awesome aunt than I am, I watch them with her and sing along (I'm a kid at heart, no big deal). She's got the songs down. But I find myself paying more attention to the plot and messages being received from the movies, and I can't help but be a little put off by what I find sometimes. Don't get me wrong, the Little Mermaid is awesome. But if you think about it, doesn't it seem wrong that she tries to change herself to be able to marry a man she "loves," even after never speaking a word to him (that he could hear)? Or Aladdin pretending to be someone's he's not just to impress a girl? I'm not trying to harp on Disney, but it makes me a little sad to think that these movies I loved so much as a child, can have such a different meaning when you think critically and try to pick apart the plot. It gets to a point where you don't fully realize the messages the movies you watch can be sending.

Knowing me, Disney will still play a big role in my life. Whether it's got a twisted plot or not.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, it's interesting how we notice different messages as an adult that we didn't as children. I love Disney movies and how uplifting they are. Overall, Disney promotes good messages and values. Like you, though, I sometimes see certain messages I don't agree with. For example, some of the clothing worn by Disney princesses can be somewhat suggestive. I'm not sure young children pick up on those messages, but I see it as an adult. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Unknown said...

In all honesty I don't think those films are as troubling as the newer stuff - no offense to anyone who likes Frozen or Tangled but their story is a lot more a message I'd avoid for children. All they try to say is "life is so much fun and you can be crazy, but run from all commitments, unless their the ones where you want to get something." I guess I see what ya mean about Little Mermaid and Aladdin, but those characters have a lot of archetypal sacrifices and self-realizations then any of the modern feminist movers (though feminism is not bad, its simply misunderstood even by many supporting it). But I'm also just referring to quality - the 1990s was truly the renaissance of Disney, very near perfect storytelling