Monday, September 15, 2014

Messages Learned

When we think of media, the form that usually comes to mind would be television, movies, and/or music. News articles are not normally the first thing we could categorize as media; at least, I don't. When I think about the shows I've been watching and what type of messages are being portrayed, it will influence how much I will continue to watch that specific show and the take home message I receive from it. At times I am not fully aware that the information I read in newspapers or books have as much of an influence on my life and perspective of things as the television programs do.

My father sent out an article to our family that discusses someone's view of marriage. While reading it, I found myself "talking" to the author of the article and giving my own opinion in reply to what she was saying. I realized that I end up doing this quite often while reading anything. I have my own dialogue going on and by the end I realize the influence of what I'm reading and how I am going to disperse it out into the rest of my life. I decided that this is a good form to keep up because it is helping me become more aware of the media I am being exposed to and what I truly think of the message it's sending.

No comments: