Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Music with homework

Everyone is different on whether or not they can have music/noise while trying to focus on homework. I've never been able to take a test in the classical musical section at the testing center. I have such a hard time focusing. But for some reason, while working on homework, I need to have some background music playing. I guess it technically depends on what type of homework I'm doing. If I'm reading a text book or working on a math problem, the quieter the better.

However, while writing a paper, it takes me a lot longer if I'm not listening to something. I just wrote a paper for a class and was having a hard time focusing on exactly what I wanted to write about. I decided to turn on some music and after a few minutes I was focused enough and wrote the paper in pretty good time. It depends on the person, but I think for me the music distracts part of my brain so that the other part can focus on writing. If it's silent while writing my brain is trying to think of too many things at once. It'll be interesting as I experiment throughout the semester where its more helpful for me to listen to music and where I shouldn't.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It is interesting how music affects us. Sometimes I can listen to music while I am writing a paper (never when I am reading, too distracting!), but it cannot ever be music with lyrics - I just find myself singing along to it. My choice of music is "Explosions in the Sky." Great band, and very soothing. Gets my head in the game, helps me focus, and puts me in a positive work rhythm.

Unknown said...

Personally, I can't ever listen to music while doing homework, unless it's classical music that I've never heard before. Any song I already know distracts me.
But it's interesting, and begs the question - why is it that people differ so much in this? What is it about the brain so that music hinders some people, and helps others? I would love to see some research on this issue!

Unknown said...

I find music distracting myself when doing certain things like studying. Then again, when I'm at home cleaning, I crank up the music because it makes me work faster!

Unknown said...

I'm actually one who can take a test with the classical music playing, but while I'm working I need only my own hum from my brain to keep me going. One of my roommates plays ridiculously loud and stupid music where the main singer is shouting - in all honesty, even when I'm not doing anything special, I hate hearing the crap. So I'm almost wondering what kind of music you do like listening to; does it have a lot of lyrics? Is it really familiar? Brand new? If it's something familiar or brand new I couldn't help trying to sing along or simply listen and enjoy the music and its words.
It is cool how we're all different, but screecher music is awful no matter how much I try to appreciate differences

Unknown said...

I love that you wrote about this! I always think about this. I usually like to have music playing while I do homework, but yeah, it depends on the music, the homework, and even the day.

Unknown said...

I definitely am one who needs to listen to music all of the time in order to focus on anything.I really do think it's interesting how much music does effect what we do in life. I even listen to classical music when going to bed at night. I think it would be interesting to see what other people listen to when they study as well.